County Caterers is a ‘Fresh Food’ Organisation. North Yorkshire County Councils food procurement strategy is based on local and regional sourcing of food which supports local business, provides traceability of produce and contributes to the health and wellbeing of its children and young people.
- Food served will be compliant with the Education (Nutritional Standards and Requirements for School Food) England, Regulations 2007.
- In consultation with our customers and Catering Managers, menus are carefully formulated to provide optimum levels of nutrients.
- Meals will be prepared fresh each day by caring and committed staff
- Local and regionally produced fresh meat and poultry and fresh fruit and vegetables will be used in the preparation of meals.
- Local and regionally produced free range eggs will be used in all home baking
- Only non-hydrogenated fats will be used in the preparation of food
- Meals will be prepared using ingredients which will not contain any additives associated with health problems in children and young people including sweeteners, colourings, emulsifiers and thickeners
- Salt will not be used in cooking and sugar will be reduced in all recipes
- Milk and Yoghurts will be low fat
- Meals will provide at least three of the five fruit and vegetables that our customers are recommended to eat each day.
- Meals will provide plenty of plant based fibre and slow release carbohydrate.
- Meals will provide more zinc, calcium, iron and vitamins than the average packed lunch
- Meals are prepared in clean, hygienic kitchens by trained catering staff following the HACCP Food Safety Management System
- Fresh drinking water is always available for our customers in our dining rooms